Špilberk Castle was established as a royal castle in the 13th century during the reign of the Přemysl clan. After the successful defence against the Swedish army in 1645 it was rebuilt into a massive Baroque fortress. It had served consecutively as both a jail and a casern from the end of the 18th century until the sixties when it was declared a national heritage monument and became the seat of The Brno City Museum. Nowadays it offers plenty of expositions and exhibitions as well as renowned Casemates – the hardest prison in the Habsburg Monarchy.
Besides 10 permanent expositions dedicated to Brno history, art and architecture visitors can currently enjoy magnificent view over the city from the View tower, visit a fencing tournament or listen to the bells.
CASEMATES A permanent exhibition of the hardest prison of the Habsburg Monarchy as an example of a Baroque fortress architecture.
SOUTHWEST BASTION (only upon previous reservation) Unique reconstructed relics of a Baroque bastion that was destroyed during the coalition wars at the behest of the emperor Napoleon in 1809.
VIEW TOWER Offers magnificent view on Brno and its surroundings.
SEASONAL EXHIBITIONS According to the schedule of The Brno City Museum.
The Brno City Museum
662 24 Brno
Information: +420 542 123 611
Casemates: +420 542 123 614 (There is possible to communicate in a foreign language.)
Reservation of historical programs: email@example.com
Reservation of programs for schools and youth:: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attractions in the trip destination
- Casemates – the oldest prison in the Habsburg monarchy
- Magnificent view on Brno from the View Tower
- Exposition dedicated to the history of both Špilberk Castle and the city of Brno
- Fencing tournaments in summer months
- Animated and educational programs for schools and youth with each exposition, Children’s Art Studio (only available in Czech and upon previous reservation)
- Historical program for groups upon previous reservation – period games and competitions, fencing tournament, fire, dance or music performance. Children can also try out archery or recognize historical weapons
- Restaurant, Café Špilberk, bistro Babinsky
- Shop with souvenirs
Special offers and events
- Both day and night visits of Casemates in costumes (only upon previous reservation)
- Fencing festival ŠPILBERK
- Brno Summer of Culture
- Brno Summer Shakespeare Festival
- Brno Museum Night
- Representative rooms for business events to rent (additional program available)
Opening hoursPERMANENT EXHIBITIONS:
May – September Tuesday to Sunday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
October – April Wednesday to Sunday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
May – September Monday to Sunday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
October – April Tuesday to Sunday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Last admission half hour before the closing time.
Permanent exhibitions - without a guide, foreign-language catalogues are available
Casemates - guided tour for groups of ten and more people in English and German (texts are also available in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French)
Southwest bastion - guided tour in Czech (only upon previous reservation, groups of minimum 15 people)
|Whole Spilberk||280 CZK|
|Family fee||645 CZK|
|Group entrance fee||220 CZK|
|Family fee||205 CZK|
|Group entrance fee||70 CZK|
more detailed version of a price list on www.spilberk.cz
Tips for trips in the surrounding area
- Tugendhat Villa
- The Měnín Gate
Entrance to all expositions is barrier-free (excluding Casemates and the Eastern part of the Špilberk castle).